Friday 12 October 2012

Yes I know it's late! What did you expect? It is, however, almost done. I am hoping that this weekend will see an end to mixing and then it is mastering and pressing. I think I have told you already that my old mucker Martin Russell has very kindly offered to take care of the mastering and then I just have to find the cash to have the thing pressed, or whatever it is they call it these days. I've spoken to Gareth, the presser as I like to call him, and all being well it could be out by All Hallows or Samhain as it really is. That flows quite nicely from To Wake The King which was released at Beltaine, the opposite end of the year and so a certain pagan  
symmetry is preserved that is not altogether in-congruent with the overall ethos of the stuff what I write. 
The main cause for delay has been funds. Don't get me wrong, I am not asking anyone for anymore cash. I don't subscribe to the "I'm an artist and so the world should recognize my worth and pay up accordingly" school of Arcadian pomp rock. People have been most kind and most trusting and a goodly proportion of the cost has been offset by advanced sales and donation, but nowhere near all of it. Unfortunately I am unable at the moment to give all my time and energy to music. I have other responsibilities and have to earn money in other ways to meet those obligations. Ne'er the less, all spare, and some not so spare, cash has been tipped into the gaping maw of this voracious project to the end that I shall be more than content if I manage to break even.
Anyhoo, patient reader, you need not concern yourself with these considerations.

What I would like to do is provide something in the way of programme notes to Far and Forgot. This is not to impose any meaning upon you as an esteemed and respected listener, far from it. It is merely to give you a glimpse into the beliefs and processes that swirl and cackle around my inner world.
So then, today let as take a peep at Brides of the Wind. Here are the lyrics.


Brides of the Wind
 Sisters awake! The Sun is on the mountain
Wake with the widening world
Ride out on the rising wind.
Sisters arise! The bees are in the heather
The song of the nestling air.
Ride out with the gathering wind

Aieah! Aieah!

Ride again through the deep sea rain to old world’s end.

Sisters well met! The moon is on the water
Walk with the Vanished Gods
Ride out with the wandering wind.
Sisters well met! New stories must be woven
Wild as an old wives tale
Ride out on the whispering wind

Aieah! Aieah!
Ride again through the deep sea rain to old world’s end.

The year’s sick and cold and the iron skies are grey and old
Home ever home where the Western stars ride high.

Sisters awake!  The long dream is ended
Wonder and war await
Ride out with the warrior wind.

Dana, Danuna,
 Diana, Damoyna.
Dark and dread are everywhere
Ride out with the wind
And Earth shall answer the wild air
Brides of the world wandering wind.

Les jour de paix arrivera
Quand les cloches de Ciel se sonnera les Fleurs D’Avalon
Touts les joli oiseaux  vont chanter comme les rossignol
Sur le Verte Secret.

The days of peace shall surely come
 When the bells of Heaven shall carillon the Flowers of Avalon
All the birds of the air will sing with the nightingales
On the Secret Green.

Sisters awake! Tree and leaf have spoken
The land poisoned at the root
Ride out with the travelling wind
Sisters arise!
The final oath is broken
The curse of the half-made men
Ride out on the levelling wind.

Aieah! Aieah!
Ride again through the deep sea rain to old world’s end.

The year’s sick and cold and the iron skies are grey and old
Home ever home where the Western stars ride high.

Sisters awake!  The long dream is ended
Wonder and war await
Ride out with the warrior wind.

Dana, Danuna,
 Diana, Damoyna.
Dark and dread are everywhere
Ride out with the wind
And Earth shall answer the wild air
Brides of the world wandering wind.   X2

So what's it all about then? Well, before we embark on any exploration of meaning I think it is right, proper and necessary to have some discussion about hats.
If one holds certain beliefs, hats can become something of a problem. Let it be generally known and acknowledged that I seldom wear a hat, and so find it a little tricky, not to say galling, to be often having one thrust upon my head.
Let me clarify. If I were to say, for example, that I find a great deal about the current theories of evolution and Darwinism quite preposterous and not to say rascally! Immediately I am aware of several hats being forced upon my unwilling head. The Creationist hat, for example, or the Intelligent Design hat being another. Let's have none of it! If I have to wear any hat it id the It's still a mystery hat! All else is dogma and wiseacring in my view.
So I hope that makes my position clear and lets have none of this "So you don't accept Darwin so you must be some sort of religious creationist!" tripe.
Brides of the Wind is in the nature of a prayer or supplication, if you will, to the Earth Goddesses to intervene on the behalf of us humans. Dana, Danuna, Diana, Damoyna are all the names of Mother Goddesses from different parts of the world and various ages of mankind.
That's it really. The rest you can surely piece together without my help or intervention. It is, however, worth noting that all these names begin with the letter D, which is a particularly earthy letter. Try it for yourselves. If ever you are feeling fragmented, disconnected or discombobulated pronounce out loud several times the sound "Duh" whilst walking on your heels in time to your pronouncing. If you don't believe me, try it and see.
You will notice there is a French bit in the middle. This is just because I find the French language to have a certain bird-like quality which to my ears suits the melody at this point very well.
Then we have an instrumental passage that uses the English tune "The Cutty Wren". Possibly one of the oldest songs in England, it dates from the peasant's revolt of 1381. The Cutty Wren may have been Richard II or more likely, the name given to the special police force that was raised to quell the rebellion.
 Oh where are you going said Milder to Moulder
Oh we may not tell you said Festel to Fose
We're off to the woods said John the Red Nose
                                     We're off to the woods said John the Red Nose. 
It goes. 
We could do with an uprising here in the UK just now, and with the help of the Mother Goddeses, we may be able to affect some very positive changes. I roundly know that we ignore the Durgha energy, the Goddess energy at our profound peril.
Now I'm off to Crystal Palace to hopefully finish mixing. Wish me Luck!!
See you soon.
Light, Love and Life
Francis








No comments:

Post a Comment